Saturday 16 June 2012

My Best Friend's Dad passed away a few days ago

I have been busy all week and wasn't able to see my messages until the end of each day - one message stood out at 5pm on Wednesday from my best friend - my father has passed away. I remember quickly dialing the number and trying to make her pain go away but. Knew that no matter how much I tried my friend was in shock still from the night before. Another friend called and said weren't they expecting him to die ecause of his ill health and I simply replied when are we ever ready for death? I had an early night after a busy weekend promised I would visit my best Friend's mother in the next day or so. I cried that night remembering my best friends father and no matter what day or time of the week and even if I hadn't seen James for years he always greeted me with a smile and would be pleased to see me because his daughter and I met many many years ago. After all the years that went by, he would still stop all he was doing and have a quick chat with me. I never thought I wouldn't see him again and my answer to whether we are ever ready for death - no we are not I got up early yesterday and bought a cake for my best friends mum and off I went. As I pulled up in the street I realized I hadn't been infront of the home for over 30 years. All the years had gone by and I never made the time to have a coffee and chat with my best friend's parents. I made my way up the driveway and was met with my best friends daughter and boyfriend and in I went. There was a picture of James with a candle burning and I sat down. I felt so at home and what followed amazed me. I was transported to a time when I was 14 and remembered all the fun we would have. I couldn't stop chatting and embraced my best friends mum who reminded me what James' last words were. Tears followed and then a lovely Greek coffee made to perfection. More people visited to pay their respects and I felt so close to a family I hadn't seen for such a long time. I felt like the 14 year old girl again embraced with the love from a family who loved me because I cared and enjoyed being with my best friend. I still see their daughter and our friendship is no different than it was all those years ago. I thanked everyone for their love and I left feeling so uplifted as my whole time sitting in the living room where James had often sat very relaxing. It made me think - was James there with us all as we laughed, chatted and enjoyed catching up - was he ready for his passing - did he have a good life? I thought for a moment and realized that James was surrounded by a loving family and created laughter and joy wherever he went. As I prepare to go to the funeral in a few days I will always remember the time spent on Sat in James' home and I will know that James was pleased I came to see his family again. It makes me wonder why we never make time to visit friends as often as we used to. Why do we spend so much time getting on Facebook, computer when we could be sitting with a loved one. I went out with my parents today and realized that they are now elderly and I must do so much more than I do. Let's make everyone we love closer by spending time with them rather than waiting for a time when we are free. Right now is the only time we have to tell someone we care for them....

No comments:

Post a Comment